I think it's time for me to come clean: I love to run. And what better way to to share my love of running and fitness with all of you. After years of running races and even completing my first half last year, why not share my insider info for those of you wanting to get fit before summer hits.
I wanted to start off the 5 fit series with my top 5 picks of sneakers and 5 fitness tips to get you started.
1. Think of sneakers as your tool and as a cushion for your knee and bones. Don't let the price tag deter you or you may end up with some injuries due to filmsy shoes.
2. Start your running program (or any fitness program) slow and smooth. And most importantly stay consistent!
3. If you never ran before start by speed walking first for 30 minutes. Once you feel comfortable enough, try the 2:1 method - Walk for two minutes and run/jog for one minute; aim for 30 minutes.
4. Always stretch before and after any physical activity.
5. Posture and hydration is important. Stay hydrated and make sure you're looking ahead as opposed to looking down at your feet. Don't worry they know where they are going.
One of the reasons I love running, is because it's my time. It's my time to listen to music, explore nature, release stress, and just tune out for however long I run. And in the end, I feel great and energized to take on the day.
I really hope these tips inspire you to explore running, and to maybe even try it out. And for those of you who are already runners, I hope this reminds you why you started in the first place.
P.s. Let me know what topic you would like next for the 5Fit Series.